[Review] Ceylon Tea Moments
We stopped over for breakfast, just past 8 am on a busy Saturday morning – needing to catch up on some office work on the computer and kill a bit of time between the kids varied schedules. We were pleasantly surprised to find them open at this time of morning and ready with some delicious breakfast. The order was Kola Kenda served with a piece of Jaggery followed by Mun-kiribath with seeni sambol and fish curry. There was a choice of either a fruit platter or lavaria (a large string hopper rolled up with a coconut and kithul treacle mix and steamed) for desert together with a pot tea of our choice.
The Kola Kanda was so creamy that I didn’t even need the Jaggery to down it. Next came steamy Kiribath with some delicious seeni sambol full of juicy succulent onions spiced to perfection. The only disappointment for me was the fish curry which I personally felt was a bit too hot on the palette. But hardly missed it since the rest of the meal was divine. The fruit platter was well stocked and had a good variety of Sri Lankan fruits. The tea was brewed to perfection and could be ordered to our liking whether weak, mild or strong. The poll rotti with the chicken curry is also a good order. The rotti is fresh and warm. The seeni sambol true to form with a nice texture and taste and very generous servings, that I found myself struggling to finish the meal. The menu carried western cuisine as well, and going by the portions being served to nearby tables, the portions and sizing is very generous.
Service at The Tea Shop was also good. The staff attended quickly and was efficient. They were also knowledgeable about the options on the menu and was able to advise us on choices etc. I also felt very welcome when we got there and they were even able to get us a plug point for the computer when its battery started to blink. And I never felt that the staff were waiting till we finished up our meal and got going.
- If you are looking for some well-cooked Sri Lankan fare or even enjoy a truly amazing cup of tea this is the place to go to. It has soon become one of our favorite options for breakfast out of home.
- The Ambiance : very cozy; comfortable chairs with tables a few low chairs with coffee tables for relaxing.
- The theme: a celebration of Sri Lankan tea in all its splendor.
- The Options: Breakfast, Lunch and dinner – open from 7 am onwards.
- The Range: about 6-7 options on breakfast. The lunch / dinner menus had more variety. The choice of teas available was fabulous – every type of tea was represented with a lovely choice of cold drinks as well as hot. Tea shakes for kids and a few tea-cocktails for those who desire that. All in all more than 100 Tea varieties to taste.
- The Price: very reasonable, especially for the full breakfast menus (Eastern & Western) available.
Address: Ceylon Tea Moments, GS5, Grand Stand, Race Course, Colombo 07.
Telephone: +94 112 695917