History of Schools Alumni and its evolution in Sri Lanka
By Sujith Silva
In one of our earlier articles “A journey through Quadrangle”, we extensively covered the evolution of education in Sri Lanka. Starting from two renowned monasteries Mahavihara and Abhayagiri in the Anuradhapura period managed by Buddhist monks and later extended into temple based ‘Pirivena’ education under the patronage of successive Sri Lankan Monarchs. Then with the arrival of Portuguese (1505), Dutch (1602) and English (1796) the local education became more organized, systematic and modernised.
We now venture into the world of Schools Alumni, which many are proud of and passionate about, to find roots and evolution.
When Ceylon was turned into a colony of the British empire, it is estimated there were at least more than 500 village schools in existence across the Island which were not recognized as ‘Colleges’ or ‘Schools’ but they were serving the purpose of providing education to locals, be it through ‘Pirivenas’, temple based education or in church backyards or on verandahs. In fact as stated in our previous article, in 1830, there had been 236 missionary schools with a total student intake of 9,274. This excluded native ‘Village Schools’ and ‘Pirivena or Temple Schools’ where proper statistics were not maintained. After implementing the Colebrooke Commission recommendations in 1832, the Colonial Administrators drew their attention to expanding the local education system. During this period a limited number of exclusive secondary schools were established based on the English public school model by the state and by the Church (referred to all denominational schools). The schools that prepared pupils to enter Universities by forming the final two years as part of University education were referred as Colleges or University Collegiate Establishments. By 1886, as per Colonial reports, there had been a total 848 State Assisted schools of various denominations including 12 Buddhist Schools, 5 Hindu schools and 25 Private Schools.
The first chairman of the Executive Committee of Education Hon. (late) C.W.W.Kannangara along with his Executive Committee of Education came up with recommendations for providing “lasting value to the nation” through education in 1942. Through these reforms, which were mainly intended to provide free education to all Sri Lankans irrespective of their cast, creed or religion, established 54 Central Colleges between 1943 and 1947 across Sri Lanka.
Post-Independence, the numbers rose dramatically, both in student population and schools. Many schools were later labelled under ‘Colleges’ or they strived to gain these tags by uplifting their standards, facilities and activities. The demand for education, that too to gain from best institutions or ‘Best College’ was the dream of every parent, not merely the dream of a student. At the same time, governments, starting from the 1961 schools takeover, started having almost total control over education in Sri Lanka from primary through secondary to tertiary levels. These control measures brought about changes to the dynamism of the Colonial based education system that was in existence at least till 1970’s.
With expansion came challenges of maintaining standards, in providing quality education and the best of facilities, including having the best of staff. Though government funded – fully or partly – all Government Schools and Semi Government schools now have to find means to sustain and ensure they keep pace with modern education or changing to meet Global Educational demands. This challenge is far greater for the Private Schools (not the International Schools), the few which are still managed by the church (Catholic, Anglican and Methodist) as they have to raise their own funds, at least most of it. However for both Government Schools and Private Schools the common challenge is to make their education affordable and sustainable whilst progressively moving ahead. This includes providing all facilities to students with changes of times which currently includes, ‘Online Education and Smart Classrooms’, retain the cream of staff and get the best of staff to impart knowledge and wisdom to students, inculcate values and principles, retain academic interests, make their religious faiths stronger while co-existing in a multi-cultural and multi religious environment, build the personality of students through extra-curricular activities and sports which have now become highly competitive and commercial, look after the health and welfare of both students and staff and ultimately to produce responsible and educated citizens to serve the nation and the world at large while making their alma mater proud.
Now, what is summarized here in a nutshell, portrays somewhat of a rosy picture, a few key challenges faced by the School Administrators, the Ministry of Education and all stakeholders involved with education in Sri Lanka. Surely they all need to lend hands and hearts and come together as they cannot face these challenges alone as each party’s expertise and resources are limited. This is nothing new for educationists, schools or governments. It was prevalent from the earliest times of education and will continue to prevail.
During the latter part of the Dutch era, the Dutch India (East India), the political body which governed Ceylon suspended funding to schools they managed by 1790’s expecting School Masters and Teachers to find ways to either manage the schools without any grant or even without their fees or simply shut them down. This was due to lack of funding or their interest was on trade & business rather than educating the natives. However some teachers and masters continued to engage in education without being paid purely due to their passion for teaching with the little money they earned from other work (translating documents, letters, etc.).
In 1834, on the recommendations of the Colebrooke Commission, the government made a list of English Schools in the Country and offered grants so they can continue to operate. In 1841, a new Central School Commission comprising Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Baptist, and other Christian denominational clerics and laity took over the affairs of the former commission, but due to disputes on the issues of disseminating religious knowledge in Schools this body could not sustain much longer. In 1865, the Colonial government appointed Mr. Richard Morgan to look into the affairs of the Central School Commission and make recommendations. The Morgan Commission recommended the disbanding of the Central School Commission in 1867 and the government released all denominational Mission schools from the list to respective Missions freeing them to follow their own educational programmes as before. The Department of Public Instruction, headed by a Director, replaced the Central School Commission in 1867. The released schools became eligible for the grant only after the School Inspectors inspected and recommended them (Jayasinha, Ananda Dias., 2014). In the meantime, Buddhist Theosophical society, Hindu Societies and Muslim Communities gathered around and started establishing schools to counter conversions of their students to Christianity.
In such a backdrop, the earliest School Administrators (of all faiths), started to look for other means to support their schools. Apart from state funding they had to raise funds to develop schools, maintain and put up buildings, etc. A time when Trade & Businesses in Ceylon was agriculture based (Tea, Coffee, Rubber and spices) while not many business enterprises were around, the School Principals started looking for the support of philanthropists.
The ‘Alumni Associations’, the term itself, was something new for the Ceylonese back then, in the 1870’s. However, it was not for Colonial School Administrators, including clergy, as they were coming with sound English (British) Education and were already part of some of the notable Schools Alumni in England (or Scotland and Ireland). In fact, in Sri Lanka, then Ceylon, there were dinners, dances, cricket matches and football matches played between the alumni of Eaton, Winchester, Harrow, Oxford, Cambridge, etc. They functioned as Ceylon Branches of these institutions which included past students from these Colleges and Universities who were serving in Ceylon as Planters, Government servants or as military personnel.
Therefore, school principals started to invite their respective Schools’ Alumni to come forward and be a part of the institution, or its activities. Some became part of the staff, as teachers or masters and even headmasters, some came forward to sponsor a prize at the School Prize Day (this is how it was called then), or a trophy for a sports encounter or to give some cash prizes or bats for outstanding cricketers or even to host a dinner for the students after a cricket match. Going a step further, fancy bazaars and concerts were organized by the schools at school premises for alumni to attend and support fund raising. The prominent alumni members, those who were within the government ranks, philanthropists or social workers were always invited to attend Annual Schools Prize Days, or for a concert at the school hall and gradually they, the past students, volunteered to support their alma mater in numerous ways.
The very first Schools Alumni Association was formed in Jaffna, at the Jaffna College in 1879. The school was started in 1871 but very little detail is available of the inauguration of the Jaffna College Old Boys’ Association (JCOBA). However we are in possession of the details of the forming of the 2nd oldest Old Boys’ School Alumni Association in Sri Lanka which is S.Thomas’ College Mt. Lavinia (back then it was in Mutwal) in 1886. The seeds of forming an Association was planted first by Warden Miller in his letter addressed one of the senior and distinguished Old Boy Mr. A. d’ A. Seneviratne, who used to live opposite of S. Thomas’ College at Mutwal. Here are few extracts from that letter (according S. Thomas’ College OBA; Warden Miller’s letter, has been lost & found, and is in the possession of Seneviratne’s son, Proctor A. C. d’ A. Seneviratne).
April 19, 1886.
My dear Seneviratne,
For some years past I have been possessed with a desire, which has lately become very strong, to see some sort of Society or Guild formed of Old Boys of S. Thomas’ College. The idea is not an original one as it has been developed most successfully in England, primarily with a view to the strengthening of the ties which should bind a man to the place where, it is to be hoped, he has learned some of the most valuable lessons of life. Such a society in connection with S. Thomas’ College would, I think, promote this desirable result, but it would have a further very beneficial effect. It would be a means of giving lads who find working Colombo a sort of rallying point. They would be more likely to come under good influence. They would be less liable to get lost sight of, as it is the case frequently at present (Cont’d).
You are the first person to whom I have communicated my idea in anything like a formal shape, and I will await your answer, before taking further steps. You, I consider, are the most representative Old Boys we can boast of.
Yours very sincerely,
E. F. Miller.
The full letter can be viewed here; https://www.stcmloba.com/
Following this, several Old Boys too made requests on their desire to see an Alumni Association is formed. Then on 25th November 1886, a letter signed by forty-nine Old Boys was addressed to the Warden on the desirability of establishing an Old Boys’ society, requesting him to convene a meeting of Old Boys to consider what steps to be taken. A meeting was summoned in the College Library on 4th December 1886 where Warden Miller was elected to the chair by the Old Boys. Also, a resolution was passed for the formation of the Old Boys’ Society to which past & present masters of the College should also be admitted. Another resolution was proposed and passed, which was on the objectives; “that the objects of the Society be to increase the sense of fellowships in Old Boys both with one another and with the College, to promote the good works among them, and to afford guidance and encouragement to the younger generation.” The first meeting of Old Boys, was held in the College Library on 21st December 1886, on S. Thomas’ Day.
Old Thomians (as they are now called) after forming their Old Boys’ Association continued to appoint their Warden as the President of the Association to date as Ex-Officio. A practice many schools follow to date, to appoint the School Principal as the President of the alumni association. S. Thomas’ College Old Boys’ Association (STOBA) also introduced an Old Boys’ Day, first on 01st of February 1887, a day where the Old Boys gather to have a garden tea party for them to reminisce nostalgically their days at school and build on camaraderie. In 1889 on the Old Boys’ Day, a Cricket match between Old Boys and Present Boys was played and it has been held since the inception. Currently it is held over a week at Mt. Lavinia during the second week of February, called ‘STC Old Boys’ week’ where Old Thomians gather to play various sports at College premises.
The Old Royalists first gathered to form an Alumni Association on 31st October 1890 where the meeting was called to consider the proposal to form Royal College Old Boys’ Association and where a resolution was passed to form an Association later on.
Here are some extracts from the said meeting (31st October 1890) “There was a large gathering of the past and present Old Boys at the Royal College Hall yesterday evening, “for the purpose of considering a proposal to form an Old Boys’ Association”. The proceedings began by the Rev. O. Beven proposing that the Hon. Mr. P. Ramanathan (later Sir Ponnabalam Ramanadan) do take the chair. It had been their intention to ask Mr. Marsh to take the chair. But his absence from the meeting prevented them from having the pleasure of seeing him in the chair. Mr. Ramanathan then took the chair, and called upon Mr. Dornhorst to move the first resolution. Mr. Dornhorst, who was received with applause, said that the resolution he had to propose was “That, in the opinion of this meeting it is desirable to form an union of Old Boys of the Academy and the Royal College”. It had long been felt that that there was wanting something to keep the Old Boys of the Academy and the Royal College together, and it had long been proposed that an Association should be formed, which should have for its object the continuance of the interest of the Old Boys in this old institution and promotion of social intercourse and union amongst the boys themselves, and the furtherance of everything which might conduct towards the interest and welfare of the Royal College (Applause).
The Inaugural General Meeting was then held on 17th January 1891 with the presence of Mr. Marsh the Principal of Royal College who was appointed as its first President. This was followed by another meeting on 6th February of the Royal College Union and hosting of the Royal College Old Boys’ Association Inaugural Dinner. In the same year, Royal College Union hosted a series of events starting from 20th October to celebrate the Anniversary of Founding the School with the participation of Old Royalists and present students. Including a cricket match between Present Boys and Old Boys. The Founder’s Day was celebrated on 25th October, presumably based on (as per records) 25th October in 1836 being the day that school was formally established as the Colombo Academy by the Government. This tradition of celebrating the Founder’s Day by the Royal College Union was continued for a few more years, which included an Annual Dinner and Day of sports.
Meanwhile on 28th January 1893, the Old Boys of Trinity College Kandy gathered at their College Hall and formed the Trinity College Old Boys Association thus becoming the first school to establish an Alumni Association in Kandy. The principal of the College Rev. Napier Clavering who encouraged a formation of such a body among the alumni was made its first President. In 1908, Trinity College Old Boys’ Association – Colombo Branch was formed and in 1921 Trinity College Old Boys’ Association – Galle Branch was established. They also have a Nuwara Eliya Branch (Upcountry OBA). In Kandy, Old Kingswoodians rallied to establish Kingswood College Union in 1904 followed by the Colombo Branch much later. St. Anthony’s College Kandy Old Boys’ Association was formed in 1910. However Old Boys of Dharmaraja College Kandy first established their Colombo Branch of Old Boys’ Union in 1914 and later the ‘Parent Body’ in Kandy.
Among the Buddhist Schools in Sri Lanka, it was Ananda College who led the way by forming the very first Old Boys’ Association in 1908 and in 1934, Visakha Vidyalaya Old Girls’ Association and Musaeus College Past Pupils’ Association were established.
In Galle, Old Boys of Richmond College gathered and formed their Old Boys’ Association in 1894 thus becoming the first School Alumni Association in the South of Ceylon. In Matara St. Servatius’ College Old Boys’ Association was formed three years later in 1897 and the Matara Thomians took much more time in forming their Association as it was established in 1934 as St. Thomas College Old Boys’ Association. In Galle, St. Aloysius’ College Old Boys’ Association was formed in 1902 followed by Mahinda College Old Boys’ Association in 1910. It may be strange but we still could not find the establishment date of the Old Boys’ Union of All Saints College Galle. The school has its roots going back to 1840’s but we could not recover anything from our initial search of records from 1880-1900. This is a task even the Old Boys of All Saints are pursuing right now, according to them the earliest record found on the association was from 1948, where the Alumni association was functioning till then. We continue our search and hope we can solve this. Meanwhile, Christ Church College Baddegama, which celebrated its bicentennial recently, took more than a century and a half to establish it’s Old Boys’ Association, as it was formed only on 29th March 1961. All these schools have established their Colombo Branches later on.
In Jaffna, it took 25 years to form an Alumni Association after Jaffna College formed its OBA in 1879. It was in 1904 that St. Patrick’s College Old Boys’ Association and St. John’s College Old Boys’ Association was formed followed by Jaffna Hindu College Old Boys’ Association in 1905 and Jaffna Central College Old Boys’ Association in 1906. While Hartley College Old Boys’ Association was formed much later in 1933. All these schools also have their Colombo Branches that were subsequently formed. St. John’s College Old Boys’ Association formed a branch called South Sri Lanka in 1906 while St. Patrick’s College Old Boys’ Association formed its Kandy Branch in 1913 which was nine years prior to forming their Colombo Branch in 1922.
While we were searching historical records and scanning old newspapers from the 19th century, we came across a news item that changed the history of the Wesley College Old Boys’ Union. Old boys of Wesley College have gathered on 18th August 1897 at College Hall (back then it was at Damn Street) under the presidency of Rev. H. Highfield who was the Principal of Wesley College and they have officially formed its Old Boys’ Association which fact was hitherto unknown to the Old Wesleyites.
Rev. H. Highfield was appointed as its first President while several resolutions were passed including the name of the association as Wesley College Old Boys’ Association and appointment of office bearers. As per the records that guided Wesley College thus far, the Old Boys’ Union was formed in 1910 but that could be the year the name was changed as OBU, from OBA. However, we have informed Wesley College about this discovery and to make necessary amendments to their records. Wesley College also established a Kandy Branch in 1971.
Though St. Benedict’s College Old Boys’ Union was formally established in 1903, we came across in the 1890 School’s Prize Day report (22nd December 1890, Times of Ceylon), Rev. Bro Gregory, Director of St. Benedict’s having said as follows “The Old Boys’ Association was still flourishing and they had lately taken steps to provide the necessary funds to extend the building 48 feet to the front to serve as a hall and reading room.” This means, St. Benedict’s College was already having an Alumni Association either a formal body or an informal gathering of ‘Old Boys’ but they were functioning at least before being established formally as ‘Old Boys’ Union’ in 1904. In the same year, in 1904 Prince of Wales College Moratuwa too formed its Old Boys’ Association while the Old Sebastianites took more time and formed the St. Sebastian’s College Old Boys’ Association in 1931.
St. Joseph’s College which was established in 1896, formed its Old Boys’ Union in 1917 whilst St. Peter’s College which was first established as St. Joseph’s College South (Branch) in 1922 formed its Old Boys’ Association in 1927, the same year they changed their name to St. Peter’s College.
When it comes to ladies, rather Girls’ Schools, the Bishopians took the lead in forming the very first Past Pupils Association or Old Girls’ Association in Sri Lanka, which was in 1896 as Bishop’s College Past Pupils’ Association followed by Girls’ High School Kandy Old Girls’ Association which was established on 8th March 1909 and Ladies College Old Girls’ Association which was established in the same year.
In Colombo, Old Shepherdians gathered to form the Good Shepherd Convent Past Pupils’ Association in 1915, followed by Methodist College Old Girls’ Association in 1919, St. Bridget’s Convent Past Pupils’ Association in 1921 and the Holy Family Convent Bambalapitiya Past Pupils’ Association was established in 1934.
In Kandy, after Girls’ High School OGA was formed, Hillwood College Kandy Past Pupils’ Association was established in 1922 followed by Good Shepherd Convent Kandy Past Pupils’ Association in 1930 and then Mahamaya College Past Pupils’ Association and Pushpadana Girls’ College Kandy. All these schools are now having their Colombo Branches of which Girls’ High School Kandy Old Girls’ Association was the first to establish a branch during the 1950’s (it was revived in 1978 after being dormant), Mahamaya College Past Pupils’ Association formed its Colombo Branch in 1984.
Contrary to Boys’ Schools in Jaffna, Girls took more time in forming their Alumni Associations. The first to establish an OGA in the Jaffna Peninsula was Chundikuli Girls’ College when they formed their Old Girls Association in 1913 followed by Vembadi Girls’ High School Old Girls’ Association which was in 1916 and past pupils of Holy Family Convent Jaffna took a relatively very long period to establish their Past Pupils’ Association which was done only in 1970.
When it comes to Galle ladies, Southlands College Past Pupils’ Association was established in 1914 followed by Sacred Heart Convent Galle Past Pupils’ Association which was established in 1940.
In Negombo, Newstead Girls’ College established its Past Pupils’ Association in 1919 while Maris Stella College Old Boys’ Association was formed in 1927.
When forming Alumni Associations in Kurunegala, both the Boys’ and Girls took much more time compared to the rest of the country. This is among the more established schools. Old Annites formed the St. Anne’s College Old Boys’ Association in 1935 and was followed by Maliyadeva College Old Boys’ Association in 1936. Then in 1946, Kurunegala Familians formed the Holy Family Convent Past Pupils’ Association in 1946 followed by Maliyadeva Balika Old Girls’ Association in 1959.
As time passed, with many Sri Lankans migrating and travelling overseas for work or studies, all these Associations started to have their overseas branches across the world. Through these, they, the past students, remain within the network and their support is channelled towards schools in Sri Lanka. Without stopping from there, these Alumni Associations now have formed their Batch Groups, Sports Foundations and various other bodies under their constitutions or indirectly to work with the Parent Body in retaining the members and supporting the Alumni and the Alma Mater in various matters. Some of these schools alumni also have established Joint Alumni Associations, such as Saint Quadrangular Association, Olcott Schools Association, Galle Club, etc by jointly hosting events and building close relationships with each other whilst putting aside rivalries and bonding with comradery. Further these Alumni Associations, under their wings (constitutionally) or separately have formed social clubs; such as Old Wesleyite Sports Club (1941), Old Joes Sports Club (1943), Old Bens Sports Club (1958), Old Trinitians Sports Club (1980). Today, every school has an Alumni Association and they are very active and strong both in membership numbers and in raising funds.
The services and work the Alumni offer have come a long way from merely sponsoring a cash prize or a bat during a Prize Day in the 1880’s to Alumni Associations on their own putting up Sports Complexes, Theatres, Auditoriums, Laboratories, Libraries, Swimming pools, etc and they even take care of major expenses or pocket out day to day running expenses at schools. This could be a way of providing student scholarships, attending to staff welfare including for retired teachers and principals, providing smart classrooms, etc. Gone are the days when these Old Boys’ Unions which were labelled as ‘Old Boys/Ladies Clubs’ were merely meant for social gatherings or were elite clubs meant for seniors of higher stature. Now they have been transformed into main benefactors or a supporting eco-system for schools. Apart from raising funds, as appointed committees (technical and advisory) or as individuals they share their expertise with School Administrators and staff in managing and developing skills of students, sports and arts. They also provide career guidance and advancement opportunities for students who are passing out. Furthermore, these Alumni Associations will always stand by their alma mater in preserving the traditions, culture and values which can be easily lost with changes of time and change of guards. As a key stakeholder at times, they fight aggressively to safeguard those values and heritage be it hosting a sporting encounter, colour of a T Shirt, placing of the school Crest or the agenda of the Annual Prize Giving or preserving an Old Building, purely to ensure that traditions are continued, which also define one’s identity or elevate its perception in the society or downgrade it if not adhered to.
The downside of having these Associations, which is minute compared to the contributions they make, could be attributed to personality issues where disagreements arise between School Administrators and Alumni Associations or mismanagement of funds or projects or some Associations trying to go above their mandate. Every school and every Alumni Association have faced their own challenges and they have overcome them successfully. These have never been long running issues rather situations that can be settled with parties being more transparent, accountable and honest. Understanding this, Alumni Associations now have proper Constitutions in place, a democratic system to appoint its body, auditing of its financial affairs, Annual General Meetings to present its reports to members and a good understanding with School Administrators to ensure their support is there when needed and to avoid any conflicts.
The amount of work and contributions made by these Alumni Associations, as a voluntary task by its body, cannot be measured by monetary value. Of course the members enjoy the entertainment and camaraderie. Everyone dreams of getting back into “school days” at least to reminisce about those good times through their associations with fellow batchmates and schoolmates. Especially in Sri Lanka, people do enjoy these bragging rights of being an Alumni of their school. He or she should be proud of being an Alumni as their alma mater provided the grounding for better things to come in life. All appreciate this but not all will repay for this. It is mostly a set of committed band of members who keep the fires burning for the rest of the members to enjoy. It is a thankless job, executed silently in this modern day with high stakes on career, managing family and self. Not many publically speak or appreciate this. But the results are there to see.
Here’s our gratitude to all those who commit themselves for a greater cause while tirelessly working to keep their flock gathered under one umbrella, of all Schools Alumni Associations!
Please note: Due to lack of space, we have published the list of some of the Oldest Schools Alumni, of which most of the Alumni Associations are directly associating with Quadrangle Magazine as we continue to promote and feature their activities. However, if we have missed any inadvertently, we sincerely apologise!
The Oldest Schools Alumni Associations in Sri Lanka
(Based on first official gathering and or establishment date of the Main Association)
- Jaffna College Old Boys’ Association -1879
- S.Thomas’ College Old Boys’ Association – 1886
- Royal College Union -1890
- Trinity College Old Boys’ Association (Kandy) – 1893
- Richmond College Old Boys’ Association (Galle) -1894
- Wesley College Old Boys’ Union -1897
- St.Servatius’ College Old Boys’ Association (Matara) -1897
- St.Aloysius College Old Boys’ Association (Galle) -1902
- St.Benedict’s College Old Boys’ Union -1904
- St.Patrick’s College Old Boys’ Association (Jaffna) -1904
- St.John’s College Old Boys’ Association (Jaffna) -1904
- Kingswood College Union -1904
- Prince of Wales College Old Boys’ Association -1904
- Jaffna Hindu College Old Boys’ Association -1905
- Jaffna Central College Old Boys’ Association -1906
- Association of Old Johnians (Panadura) 1907
- Ananda College Old Boys’ Association -1908
- St. Michael’s College Old Boys’ Association (Batticaloa)1909
- Mahinda College Old Boys’ Association -1910
- St.Anthony’s College Kandy Old Boys’ Association -1910
- Dharmaraja College Old Boys’ Union –Colombo Branch 1914
- Zahira College Old Boys’ Association 1914
- St.Joseph’s College Old Boys’ Union 1917
- St.Mary’s College Old Boys’ Association (Negombo) 1920
- Sri Sumangala College Old Boys’ Association (Panadura) 1922
- St. Peter’s College Old Boys’ Union -1927
- Maris Stella College Old Boys’ Association (Negombo) -1927
- Holy Cross College Old Boys’ Union (Kalutara) -1929
- St.Sebastian’s College Old Boys’ Association -1931
- Hartley College Old Boys’ Association -1933
- St.Thomas College Old Boys’ Association (Matara) -1934
- St.Anne’s College Old Boys’ Association (Kurunegala) -1935
- Maliyadeva College Old Boys; Association (Kurunegala) -1936
- De Mazenod College Old Boys’ Association -1943
- St.Xavier’s College Old Boys’ Association (Nuwara Eliya) -1947
Branches in Sri Lanka:
Trinity College Old Boys’ Association –Colombo Branch 1908
Trinity College Old Boys’ Association –Galle Branch 1921
St. Patrick’s College Old Boys’ Association –Kandy Branch 1913
St. Patrick’s College Old Boys’ Association –Colombo Branch 1922
St. John’s College Old Boys’ Association – South Sri Lanka 1906
Jaffna Hindu College Old Boys’ Association –Colombo Branch 1910
Jaffna College Old Boys’ Association – Colombo Branch 1913
St. Anthony’s College Old Boys’ Association – Colombo Branch 1926
Wesley College Old Boys’ Union – Kandy Branch 1971
St. Servatius College Old Boys’ Association- Colombo Branch 1977
Richmond College Old Boys’ Association – Colombo Branch
Richmond College Old Boys’ Association – Kandy Branch
Kingswood Union –Colombo Branch
Jaffna Central College Old Boys’ Association –Colombo Branch
- Bishop’s College Past Pupils’ Association 1896
- Girls’ High School Kandy Old Girls’ Association 1909
- Ladies College Old Girls’ Association 1909
- Chundikuli Girls’ College Old Girls Association 1913
- Southlands College Past Pupils’ Association (Galle) 1914
- Good Shepherd Convent Kotahena Past Pupils’ Association 1915
- Vembadi Girls’ High School Old Girls’ Association 1916
- Newstead Girls’ College Past Pupils’ Association 1919
- Methodist College Old Girls’ Association 1919
- St.Bridget’s Convent Past Pupils’ Association 1921
- Hillwood College Kandy Past Pupils’ Association 1922
- Good Shepherd Convent Kandy Past Pupils’ Association 1930
- Holy Family Convent Bambalapitiya Past Pupils’ Association 1934
- Visakha Vidyalaya Old Girls’ Association 1934
- Musaeus College Past Pupils’ Association 1934
- Sacred Heart Convent Galle Past Pupils’ Association 1940
- Holy Family Convent Kurunegala Past Pupils’ Association 1946
- Maliyadeva Balika Old Girls’ Association 1959
- Holy Family Convent Jaffna Past Pupils’ Association 1970
Branches in Sri Lanka
Vembadi Girls’ High School Old Girls’ Association- Colombo Branch 1937
Chundikuli Girls’ College Old Girls Association – Colombo Branch 1939
Newstead Girls’ College Past Pupils’ Association-Colombo Branch 1949
Girls’ High School Kandy Old Girls’ Association –Colombo Branch 1950’s (and revived in 1978)
Hillwood College Past Pupils’ Association –Colombo Branch 1963
Mahamaya College Past Pupils’ Association –Colombo Branch 1984